Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Eat, Pray, Love Part 2

I loved this book! I wasn't sure what I was going to think, maybe that it was going to be this cutesy, look at me-I traveled around the world-during a mid-life crisis thing, but it was SO far from that.

The writing style of Gilbert, in my mind, is almost flawless. She tells it like it is, but is funny when appropriate, sappy when appropriate. She is just very REAL. I loved that.

The book's layout was wonderful. Gilbert really let the reader understand the new environments she was in. She shared all the details of the people, the culture, the history, the food. Everything you would want to know. She did her research and brought forth this beautiful, beautiful memoir.

All of the things that happened to her in the book can be hard to imagine, as in, how could she be so luckily? But at the same time, isn't that the point? That these things did happen to her? That maybe karma was on her side? (or whatever you want to believe in?)

I thought this book was perfect in almost every way. While I was reading it I found myself with this calmness over me. I wanted to absorb the whole book and not rush through it. I actually didn't want it to end. I hope that maybe someday she was write more about what happened to her after this journey was over. Or maybe, it's better left unsaid.

No comments: