Sunday, March 29, 2009

A Long Way Gone

So, I really did like this book. It started out slow for me. I wonder how much of the beginning was sort of "made up" versus being the actual truth. He was so young, how could he possibly remember all of that. I mean, I am sure it is all based on what he does remember, but I doubt that it's exact. Once he was actually recruited into the army, that is when the book got really interesting to me. I was pretty blown away by his story. This book reminded me a lot of What is the What in a way and I think I do prefer that book this one. I really found the story of his rehabilitation to be the most interesting part of his story. It’s truly amazing that they are able to rehabilitate any of these young men after the horrors they had been though. I had never really thought much about it until I read this story. I do have to say though, I HATED the ending. What? I was upset that he didn't go on to tell his story of how he made it to the US after everything he had been though. I get what he was trying to do with the ending, but it was too abrupt for me. I really want to hear how he was able to make it out of Guinea and into the US. Besides the ending, this book was really quite fascinating and really set my brain in motion.

No comments: