Tuesday, December 5, 2006

The Secret History

Currently Reading:

I am almost finished with Donna Tartt's The Secret History. (About 75 pages to go). I have to say, I am quite surprised. This book is fascinating! I have never been one for mysteries much (though it isn't quite a mystery per-say, considering Tartt gives away the ending of the book within the first 20 pages or so) but honestly, this book is slowly working it's way in to my top 10. I am fascinated by the characters. The story line just keeps me tied in.

The book is big (560 pages or so) and wasn't sure how I would do with it. Obviously, I have blown my 10-day plan out of the water, but I am not worried. (I have a few short books coming my way soon.)

In this back of the copy I have, there is an interview with Tartt. I was not at all impressed. She seemed a bit stand-offish and some of her answers were, ah, a bit snotty. And she's a bit scary looking.. reminds me a bit of Flannery O'Connor. (I love O'Connor's works by the way, maybe this isn't a coincidence!)


I try not to judge a book by its author, if I can help it. Though being the English major I was, it just happens. Look what has happened with James Frey.... now (almost) everyone hates that book. (But I blame Oprah more than him on that one.... but that's me).. Okay enough on that subject for now!

This book reminds me a bit of "Prep", by Curtis Sittenfeld. A more elaborate, drugged up, evocative, sophisticated, version.

Anyhow, I recommend it.

No comments: